Saturday, March 30, 2013

Confession time

Since that Candy Snowman Stocking kit in October of last year I have been collecting felt kits. At first it was only a few, but then an obsession took hold and now I have enough kits to get me through years of sewing, according to my husband anyway. I have scoured EBay for deals and waited anxiously for coupons to some of my favorite shops so I could acquire a few more, rationalizing I should buy them now before they aren't made any more. Yesterday, I received notice that Bucilla will be releasing 4 new designs in April. The email included a photo of two of the kits soon to come out and I have already marked one of them as mine. I enjoy making these up and adding a few extras like linings and larger backs so there is more room to stuff with goodies. It comes in spurts, my interest on projects, so I have been amazed how much my attention has been kept with these kits. I can't even use the excuse that it is because I am making them for family because that hasn't mattered in the past. I realize that I have more kits then I can display so once the 16 are finished for family I will be making these up and putting them on Etsy. Anything to let me continue to make these as I enjoy them so much.

For anyone who hasn't done one of these kits, they are time consuming but oh so worth it. Each stocking is made up of layers of felt, cut and hand sewn into place to create gorgeous images, embellished with sequins, beads and embroidery. Every sequin is held in place by a bead. I know there are some people who upon hearing the word kit assume that it is an easy and talentless project. I have to disagree. Although the kits come with everything you need to create an item if you don't take the time needed or try to perfect your stitching the end product will not be as nice as someone who does. I think it takes talent to turn those pieces into something. if you have absolutely no sewing experience I would suggest trying an ornament kit first to see if you enjoy this type of project. That way you get a taste of what's involved, you don't get overwhelmed with hundreds of pieces, while being able to have a finished item faster.

One of my favorite things to do is read reviews on items I love to see how others find them or hear their stories about who they are making them for and the recipients reaction. The ones that irritate me are those people who give a product a low rating when the review makes it obvious that the only reason for the low score is because that person cannot read. The one that sticks out the most was on a tree skirt kit sold on Amazon. The title of the product states kit, item description points out that this KIT comes with everything you will need to stitch this tree skirt, included are felt, sequins, beads and needles. You supply the stuffing. Additionally there were other reviews about how much work it takes to stitch but the hours it is taking will be worth it to have a family "heirloom" that their family can appreciate every year. One shopper even uploaded in progress pictures to share. Then comes along a person who, after all of the above is available to them, gives the kit a 1 star rating because they didn't know it was a kit, that you have to put it together and calls it false advertising because there is a photo of a finished product in the images. Aarrrgghhh!!! What is wrong with people?! LOL I read the review and was in shock. The language was very strong, to boot. The worst thing is that because of this person the rating of the kit is now skewed.

I have been working more on the Over the Rooftops and have finished one reindeer. I will be giving my opinion about this kit versus the Bucilla kits I have been working with soon.
Till next time ~

No comments:

Post a Comment