Saturday, February 22, 2014

A sad day in Arizona

Yesterday I learned that a bill is in place, waiting for approval or veto by governor Jan Brewer, that if approved would make it legal for the people of Arizona to refuse service to anyone who is gay or lesbian because of their " religious beliefs". This is one of the most ridiculous bills I have ever heard of. It is pure discrimination being dressed up as religion. Whether or not homosexuality is something you, or I, condone or condemn, is beside the point and I will not get into that. I do not think a state, or government of any level, should make it legal to discriminate against anyone for their sexual orientation, their color, age, or religion. What will be next? Separate water fountains? Seats on a bus? Come on people! Wake the hell up! We've been here before! Why is it, every day I see something on the news that greatly resembles a horrible chapter from our history. The actions that lead up to the act are just as important to remember as the horrible conflicts, riots, and wars that they in turn lead to. If we forget the actions,  the preludes, we will be doomed to repeat past horrors. Normally I do not vent my opinions or views of current events but this was the last straw. 

I may sound like a conspiracy theorist when I say this but everyone should read 1984 by George Orwell. The book that started the phrase, "Big Brother is watching you," (no not the ridiculous "reality" tv show) Maybe if the general population had we wouldn't be sitting here watching quietly as the events of the book come to life around us. Constant monitoring by the government. Anger and hatred, condoned by he government and expected by it's citizens.Or maybe the problem is that only those in power, those in the government, have read it and found it to be a great idea, one that they are trying hard to replicate.

Wake up people, look around you, do you really like what you see? 

Vent over. I will get off my soap box now...normal programming will return next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment