Friday, January 10, 2014

Birthday splurge

I did it, I bought the Charleston quarter scale dollhouse kit. This kit is gorgeous and I have been drooling over it since I saw it first advertised for a workshop over a year ago. The money I spent on it was for me to do as I wanted for my birthday, yet I still have a slight case of sticker shock. I don't buy single items that cost that much generally ( my Pickett hill was done with monthly payments so it was easy to overlook the total cost) but it never fails to upset my stomach, everything else is all excitement. I have an old magazine that has the plans from Debbie Young to build a cute quarter scale house, or you could buy the kit straight from her.  I added up the cost of materials vs the kit cost and the kit was a better deal, so I know that this kit will be well worth it, hers usually are, even I that initial amount seems crazy now.  I love the colors of the wallpapers and the overall layout. It is shown lit but there is no description of it coming with the wiring for lights, I really hope it does though, as that was a major draw for me. That and the interior stairs!  I love the tiny railing. It is hard I tell from the pictures posted just exactly how the layout works because the description describes hallways and closets. The closets are such an interesting touch that I am anxious to see how thy are done. 

Debbie Young also has a house called the Avalon. I purchased this house a few years ago. The exterior is to die for. So adorable! The interior is what has hindered me from building it. There are no stairs and no bathroom. I am one of those weird miniaturists who like realism in miniature, so without those two important features I have a hard time starting. Now that I have the Charleston coming with all if it's bells and whistles I think I can focus on the Avalon as it is. This one has been done so many times as a fall house, I feel I should change it just to be different, however it lends itself to that season so beautifully I will most likely follow suit. 

Petite-properties also has some wonderful quarter scale kits. I pulled out two, the Snowdrop cottage and the Flower Pot cottage. Unfortunatly I can't locate locally the supplies I need for the exteriors so those are on hold again, too. Maybe this weekend I'll make a decision as to the next kit to do and actually start it. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment