Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Donna Reed and a little bit of Bing

For as long as I can remember I have loved old music and tv shows. I was the only fifth grader in my school who knew who Abbott and Costello were or listened to The Andrew Sisters. For Christmas last year my parent bought me a wonderful gift, a 5 in 1 entertainment system. It has an Am/Fm radio, an audio jack for my iPod and plays CDs, tapes, and best of all records. I have slowly collected a small collection of records. Our library was having a sale to get rid of old media, I happened to go that day, and I was ecstatic to find a box collection of Bing Crosby and another of Nat King Cole and a few other single records. I left 5 dollars poorer but in possession of some pristine records. They looked like they had never been used, not a single scuff or scratch. Any time I am cleaning or not in the mood for the tv I crank up a record and enjoy the soft hiss and pop. Bing Crosby's crooning voice is wonderful, can't get enough. I love when he would do duets with The Andrew Sisters. I have been lucky to find some great conditioned Andrew Sisters 2 record collections on EBay and have grabbed them up as fast as my nimble fingers let me.

As to television I enjoy the contemporary shows and watch a few regularly but I love the black and white shows and movies. Just recently while searching online I came cross the Donna Reed Show on YouTube. I had heard about it, but it wasn't one that is aired in syndication here so I hadn't had a chance to see it myself. Needless to say I downloaded YouTube on our Playstation and have been enjoying them while I stitch. I like them so much I plan to buy them from Amazon. The quality would probably be better, at least I think the words and mouths would be synced. My dad has recommended Father Knows Best since I like Donna Reed. I've seen one or two of them since and have it marked as the next show I watch. The clean humor is refreshing and I absolutely live looking at the sets. I'm on the lookout for some more great shows from this era to add to my DVD collection. Anyone out their with suggestions please leave a comment. I'd love to hear what old shows others are enjoying, I can't possibly be the only one. : )

And just so you can see what I am talking about here's a picture, all set up with a record by Bing.

1 comment:

  1. Donna Reed is awesome! You might like My Three Sons as well although it's not in black and white.

    ReplyDelete