Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Risk of Electronic Media

This month we were due an upgrade on our cell phones so my husband got the newest iPhone and I got his old one. My phone had such a small memory it didn't have enough to update to the new software. Last night he started setting his phone up for me, moving over my photos , music, etc. However, he wasn't listening when I asked to have my phone before he did anything else and he deleted my iBook app which had all my HAED charts and other cross stitch patterns. I knew I had a couple of them backed up on my laptop but I the ones I recently purchased I wasn't so sure of. At this point it hit me how insecure digital media really is. I have always been wary of having all of my movies as digital copies from companies like Vudu or Amazon and with my Kindle, if I really like a book I buy a physical copy, also. Digital is convenient but I haven't yet lost a paperback because I touched the wrong button. My husband has always been frustrated with what he views as my resistance to modern media but after last night I think he may see my side of things. After a few tears on my side and hard work on my DH's he was able to retrieve my files. I fortunately had it set to auto back up on the cloud. I will be making sure I have back ups of all my charts, especially the HAED charts because they are so large. As to the size I only have 5mg of space used on this phone and 22 more available, plus I have more on this one than I did my old one. Woohoo! More room for charts!

While he worked on that I was able to get  a small portion organized in the office and a tiny amount stitched on Boreas. I say tiny only because it doesn't look much different than when I started but at least one chart block is fuller. I am getting used to the tiny stitches and I am also trying to get used to using my left hand more dominantly now, so after surgery I will still be stitching at a good pace. Just to show you the difference here is the before picture 
And here is the after:
The after is more true to color. The before is super yellow. I also started removing the grids from the stitches areas and I have not had any issues with distortion. All the stitches are still flat and smooth. The easy count grid filament pulled easily out from beneath the stitches that had been stitched over it. I will still be trying the Sulky metallic thread because you get double the amount for half the cost. I hope I have as good a result with that as I did this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment