Friday, August 16, 2013

A new turntable base

After work today I took a trip to Home Depot. Nothing like the smell of a hardware store to get me excited about a project and instantly in a good mood. The smell of the lumber yard is like an amazing potpourri. I bought myself some super fine sand paper, a can of mini wax honey satin stain for the interior floors and a sheet of plywood. While I work with figures all day and I am used to imaging size in regards to miniatures I fall short when it comes to imaging the size of a 4'x8'sheet of plywood and how it'll fit in the back of my SUV. After six cuts I I finally got all of it to fit. Since the kids are having a sleepy over at their grandparents I thought tonight would be the best night to cut the wood down to the size I wanted for a base. I had the guy at Home Depot cut to an estimated 3x'3'but once I placed it under the house it was way too big.. I want to be able to landscape but I want the house to be the focus. So I used a handsaw and cut it to 29"x29" I am very proud of myself. After I cut and sanded the top relatively smooth and lightly sanded the bottom I attached a metal turntable I had purchases from miniatures.com years ago for just such a project. As I proudly carried it into the house and showed it too my husband he sweetly pointed out my turntable wasn't centered. Grrrr. It's not off by much and doesn't make a difference to how it works it was still a bit frustrating. No one can tell just by looking and if they want to move the 34lb dollhouse and flip a large sheet of plywood over just to see if my turntable is centered than more power to them. Until then I am doing a happy dance over my new base. It will work wonderfully while I build and then once covered it will be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment