Friday, August 2, 2013

But will it fit through the door?...

That simple question led to the construction of the foundation of the Holly Ann. I started thinking last night about how horrible it would be if I built this beautiful house and then come to find out it won't fit through the doorway. I only meant to open it to test it, of course the foundation piece was under all the other pieces. That led to sorting the pieces to general areas, exterior walls, tower roof pieces, roof pieces, etc. After that it was just a matter of time before I broke down and started constructing the base and foundation. I finally got some rolls of wood veneer so I'll be able to make my own floors. I had thought about scribing my own flooring but that seems like a LOT I work and I don't think my hand would be steady enough to make all those straight lines. I have some general ideas for the build I just hope I can make it work.

I asked my husband for his advice, I told him that he may not like dollhouses but he'll have to look at it so I want his input on the color. For choices I gave him purple, yellow or the leftover paint from my parents house which is a sandy color. He exclaimed not purple! So I tried the sandy color first. Apparently the sun has toned down my parents home or the paint on top of stucco did because this was pink! Like a dark pink! I couldn't help laughing as I brought the wall to my husband and said I know you said no purples but how do you feel about pink? LOL his face was priceless. So back to the beginning, the yellow was tried but the paint was too runny, and then old parchment by Delta Ceramcoat but It was too bleh. In the end I chose a color I wasn't even considering, Ice Blue by Americana. With the white windows and my plan for a charcoal/black/grey roof it is perfect. I have a few ideas for accents but nothing is set yet. Both of my kids helped with the painting. With Aidan starting school Wednesday these moments I get with him one on one a more precious to me than I can say. Memories are being made with this house which is great because years later when I look at this house I won't be seeing walls, I will be seeing a little girl and a little boy helping their mom and being so proud of what they did.

The yellow shown is what their nursery was painted in. I don't have a picture of the mishap paints but here is one of the final color. The bottom walls are glued in as well as the second floor. It calls for the house to be nailed together as well as glued after each wall is put up. I am gluing and then will go back when it is more sturdy to do the nails and the touching up the holes.

1 comment:

  1. What a sneaky kit...making you put it together like that:D The color is perfect, and I love your kids helping you with it.

    ReplyDelete